WEIRDLAND: Female Outcasts

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Female Outcasts

"I say we just grow up, be adults, and die" - Veronica Sawyer (Winona Ryder).
Veronica Sawyer: You're a rebel? You think you're a rebel? You're not a rebel you're fucking psychotic! -"Heathers" (1989).
"Lux Lisbon, one of the five self-doomed sisters whose lissome dance toward extinction is the subject of Sofia Coppola's first movie (and of Jeffrey Eugenides's first novel, on which it is based), is first glimpsed in the act of finishing a red Popsicle. As played -- incarnated might be a better word -- by Kirsten Dunst, Lux is at once a blond icon of girlish suburban innocence and an emblem of womanly eroticism. Like Sue Lyon in Stanley Kubrick's ''Lolita,'' with her lollipop and her heart-shaped sunglasses, Ms. Dunst turns Lux's every glance and gesture into an ambiguous provocation". Source: movies.nytimes.com

Lux Lisbon: I can't breath in here.
Mrs Lisbon: Lu, you are safe, in here.
"The Virgin Suicides" (1999).


"Maybe Enid Coleslaw - the cynical brat of the movement's lodestone film, Ghost World - sums up our geek girl's philosophy best. When she describes the film's socially inept record-collecting dork, Seymour, it's like a motto for the movement: "I kind of like him. He's the exact opposite of everything I really hate. In a way, he's such a clueless dork, he's almost kind of cool." Source: www.theage.com.au
Enid: This is so bad it's gone past good and back to bad again. -"Ghost World" (2001).Enid: I'm taking a remedial high school art class for fuck-ups and retards. (Brad Renfro, Thora Birch and Scarlett Johansson)
Enid: Josh, he's nobody's boyfriend, he's just this guy that Becky and I like to torture.

See the parallels between Becky (Enid's friend -Scarlett Johansson) and Juno's cheerleder friend Leah (Olivia Thirlby): and also between the quirky male characters Josh (Brad Renfro) and Paulie Bleeker (Michael Cera):Josh: This guy has every reason to freak out. This is a pretty fucked up thing to do to somebody.
Enid: I think Josh is becoming too mature for us.
Bleeker: You're being really immature... You have no reason to be mad at me, I mean, you broke my heart. I should be royally ticked off at you. I should be really cheesed off, I shouldn't want to talk to you anymore.
Juno MacGuff: He said her house smells like soup.
Leah: Oh my god it does! I was there like four years ago for her birthday party. It's like Lipton landing!
Juno MacGuff: Yeah, you just take Soupy-Sales to prom. I can think of so many cooler things to do that night. Like, you know what Bleek? I might pummus my feet, uh, I might go to Bren's Unitarian Church, maybe get hit by a truck full of hot garbage juice, you know? Cause all those things, would be exponentially cooler than going to prom with you.Juno MacGuff: You're, like, the coolest person I've ever met, and you don't even have to try, you know. -Ellen Page in "Juno" (2007).
Deb (Tina Majorino): Kay, hold still right there. Now, just imagine you're weightless, in the middle of the ocean, surrounded by tiny little seahorses.Deb: Um, hello. Would you like to look like this?

Napoleon Dynamite: This is a girl.
Deb: Because for a limited time only, Glamour Shots by Deb are 75% off. -"Napoleon Dynamite" (2004).


"I’m afraid the backlash against things like Juno or the fucking Decemberists is causing people to abandon the ideals we’ve all grown up with, possibly just for the sake of being contrarians" -Mike Conklin.

Source: the1magazine.com

2 comments :

clairex said...

Kirsten was so beautiful in "The Virgin Suicides", it's a pretty sad movie, though..

Elena said...

Yes, I agree. "The Virgin Suicides" is probably her best role, "Crazy/Beautiful" showed us another conflictive teenager, even in the more unknown "Luckytown" Kirsten was also another discontent teenager. Then Kirsten has switched more towards romantic movies, but she has proved herself versatile.